Hide Site

Call Us:

01224 593381




Welcome to Grampian Women's Aid

Saying No to Domestic Abuse

What we do >


Don't tolerate Abuse

Grampian Women's Aid offers a free, confidential, and non-judgemental service to women, who have experienced domestic abuse. The abuse may be from a partner, ex-partner. We aim to provide an inclusive service and support women from all backgrounds regardless of substance misuse issues, mental/physical health, race/ethnicity, religion, age, disability, gender identity or sexual orientation.

Women who access Grampian women's aid do so to discuss their experiences around domestic abuse. Grampian Women's Aid will provide women, children and young people who have experienced domestic abuse with support and information. We won't judge you and we will never tell you what to do.

What we offer

  • One to one support
  • Information on housing, benefits and legal issues
  • Practical and emotional support
  • Somewhere safe to stay either in refuge (if available) or through local councils
  • Support, whether you choose to stay with or leave your partner
  • Information about your rights
  • Safety Planning
  • Support in finding a new home
  • Sign posting to other agencies that can help

When you contact us

  • We will listen to you and believe you.
  • We will give you information that may be helpful to you. If we don't know something we will find out for you.
  • If you want us to find safe accommodation for you we will try to do so.
  • We will not tell you what to do. We will support you to make the decisions that are right for you.
  • We will support you with safety planning for you and your children, whether you are leaving the abuser or staying in the relationship.
  • We will provide a confidential service

Sometimes women just want the opportunity to talk to someone and one phone call or appointment at our office is enough. However, if you would like us to provide you with on-going support and/or temporary accommodation we will undertake an assessment with you; this helps us to identify quickly what type of support you want and whether we are the right organisation to meet your needs.


Our refuges provide a safe, temporary place for you to stay. We aim to make our refuges homely and comfortable by furnishing and equipping them as fully as we can. All Grampian women's aid refuges are communal; this means you have your own bedroom and share the other areas in the house with other women. All refuges have a kitchen with a cooker, fridge, freezer and washing machine. They are stocked with the basic items you need for cooking and eating. They have a living room with a settee and colour TV. The bedrooms are fitted with beds and bedding, wardrobe and drawer space. There is a playroom in each refuge for children You will be charged a weekly rent. You may be eligible for housing Benefit; this however, depends on your individual circumstances.

Once you are in a refuge, staff will be there to help you settle in to the accommodation and start planning for the future. Your decisions will always be respected, and the aim is always to help you find ways to be safe - and feel safe. We have some simple rules within our refuges that all women must agree to. These are to ensure everyone's safety and confidentiality in the refuge.

If you feel that you need to leave the Aberdeen area for your own safety, we can also help you to access refuge accommodation in other areas of the UK.

Using the Law

If a partner or ex-partner is abusing or harassing you and/or your children, you can use the law to protect yourselves. If you choose to use the law, it is useful to have as much evidence as possible about what your partner/ex-partner has done to you.

The law is quite complex so it is always best you speak to an adviser. You can contact a solicitor, local Women's Aid group, Citizens Advice Bureau, housing offices or law centre.

There are things that you can do. Knowing some of the facts will help to keep you safe. It is a good idea to keep a note of who you have been speaking to, their names and contact details. Also make a note of what they have said to you. It can be hard to remember everything, especially if you are anxious or stressed.

There are three main types of legal action you can take:

  • Exclusion order
  • Interdicts
  • Non-harassment order

It is important to remember that:-

  • Assaults which occur between partners in the home are not in any way less serious than those that occur between strangers.
  • Assault within the context of domestic abuse is a crime; it should be dealt with in the same way as any crime.
  • The police have guidelines on how they should respond to being called to an assault on a woman by the person that she is living with.
  • The police should not ask you if you want to have your partner charged. It is for the police to decide whether to charge him or not.
  • You have rights within the legal system which can apply to your home and your money. Always get appropriate advice.

Getting help from the police

Reporting your partner or ex-partner to the police is your right and can help improve your and your children's safety. Think about doing this if:

  • He has assaulted or is harassing you
  • He has broken a court order (e.g. an interdict).
  • He has broken the conditions of bail for a previous incident by contacting or approaching you.


You have rights to stay in your own home and make an abusive partner leave. If you have to leave your home because of domestic abuse, you have a right to temporary and permanent housing.


If you leave an abusive partner you may be able to claim welfare benefits to support yourself and any children.

2013 Grampian Women's Aid Limited. All Rights Reserved

Site by studioNEC